MS Health-System Pharmacy Administration & Leadership
The MS/HSPAL prepares future health care leaders to manage complex health-system operations while supporting students' pharmacy residency training.
The MS/HSPAL provides education in management, business operations and leadership while supporting students' residency pharmacy training. This program is offered in two formats, a combined MS/HSPAL and residency program and a working professional program, offered 100% online.
Beginning in 1959, The Ohio State University has been a leader in establishing the tradition of Health-System Pharmacy Administration & Leadership across the country. Ohio State graduates include past ASHP presidents, Harvey A.K. Whitney recipients, and numerous current directors of pharmacy across the country.
It is not just the long-standing tradition that sets our program apart; it is also the thriving alumni community active in the Latiolais Leadership Program, which bears the motto "Enthusiasm for Excellence.” This group, consisting of past graduates, provides unsurpassed networking opportunities to students in the Ohio State MS-HSPAL and strives to address contemporary issues and provide effective strategies for improvement in Health-System Pharmacy leadership.
Through this degree program students learn to:
- Conceptualize, plan, coordinate, and evaluate pharmaceutical care in organized health care settings.
- Employ managerial and financial skills to maintain and improve health system pharmacies.
- Design pharmacy services that meet the needs of the changing health care system.
- Convey concepts and ideas clearly and succinctly via verbal or written communication.
- Relay ideas that are well researched and objectively stated.
- Collect and interpret data useful to improving health system pharmacy services (data-driven decision making).
- Establish a vision for health-system pharmacy based on current and historical philosophies of pharmacy practice.