April 21, 2021
The Journal of Natural Products honored A. Douglas Kinghorn, PhD, DSc, in a special issue highlighting his impact on the field of natural products and his career in the academic, private and public sectors. Dr. Kinghorn is a professor and Jack L. Beal Chair of the Division of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy at The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy.
The article details the start of his education – earning his bachelor’s degree in 1969 at the University of Bradford in the United Kingdom – up through his career at Ohio State. The special issue was sent to thousands of members of the American Chemical Society and has been downloaded over 5,000 times.
The journal celebrates his projects promoting drug discovery from plants and other natural sources, and highlights his many accomplishments, including:
- Authored or coauthored around 430 research articles
- Wrote 80 book chapters and edited or coedited 30 books
- Fourteen patents issued or published
- Presented multiple research seminars and lectures in over 30 countries
- Advised over 50 graduate students for their major and/or thesis
- Directly supervised over 70 postdoctoral and visiting scholars
“In the research arena, he is internationally recognized as an outstanding investigator and inspirational leader of collaborative research products,” said the authors of this issue. “Indeed, members of the natural products community owe Doug an immense debt of gratitude for his inspiring leadership, not only as an editor but also as a teacher and mentor and researcher. He has been, and continues to be, a source of inspiration to all of us, and we can think of no better role model for aspiring young scientists.”