The research area of Dr. Li focuses in the design, synthesis and biochemical testing of steroidal and non-steroidal steroid sulfatase inhibitors as potential agents for the treatment of hormone-dependent cancers. Estrogen levels in breast tumors of post-menopausal women are as much as 10 times higher than estrogen levels in plasma, presumably due to in situ formation of estrogen. The major source of estrogen in breast cancer cells may be conversion of estrone sulfate to estrone by the enzyme estrone sulfatase. One of their goals is to develop potent estrone sulfatase inhibitors as potential agents for the treatment of estrogen-dependent breast cancer. They have synthesized both the steroidal and non-steroidal estrone sulfatase inhibitors.
- 1988, PhD, The Ohio State University, Medicinal Chemistry
- 1983, BS, University of Wyoming, Pharmacy
- 1980, Please enter degree name, University of Nevada, Pre-Pharmacy
- President's Award for Excellence, 1997
- School of Pharmacy Award for Excellence in Scholarship, 1997
- Distinguished Presentation of the 14th annual meeting, Graduate Student Forum, 1988
- University Graduate Associate Teaching Award, 1987
- University Fellowship, 1983 - 1984
- Bhasin, Deepak; Cisek, Katryna; Pandharkar, Trupti; Regan, Nicholas; Li, Chenglong; Pandit, Bulbul; Lin, Jiayuh; Li, Pui-Kai Design, synthesis, and studies of small molecule Stat3 inhibitors Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 2008 Jan; 18(1):391-395.
- Hutzen, Brian; Cen, Ling; Friedman, Lauren; Sobo, Matthew; Ball, Sarah; Li, Pui-Kai; Li, Chenglong; Fuchs, James; Bhasin, Deepak; Pandit, Bulbul; Shibata, Hiroyuki; Iwabuchi, Yoshiharu; Lin, Jiayuh New curcumin analogues with enhanced growth suppressive activity in cancer cells Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting. 2008 Jan; 49 291.
- Fossey, Stacey; Liao, Albert; Bear, Misty; Lin, Jiayuh; Li, Pui-Kai; Kisseberth, William; London, Cheryl Investigating the role of Stat3 dysregulation in human and canine osteosarcoma Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting. 2008 Jan; 49 889.
- Selcer, Kyle W.; DiFrancesca, Heidi M.; Chandra, Abhinav B.; Li, Pui-Kai Immunohistochemical analysis of steroid sulfatase in human tissues Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 2007 Jan; 105(1-5):115-123.
- Gul, Halise I.; Yerdelen, Kadir O.; Gul, Mustafa; Das, Umashankar; Pandit, Bulbul; Li, Pui-Kai; Secen, Hasan; Sahin, Fikrettin Synthesis of 4 '-hydroxy-3 '-piperidinomethylchalcone derivatives and their cytotoxicity against Pc-3 cell lines Archiv der Pharmazie (Weinheim). 2007 Jan; 340(4):195-201.
- View all journal articles