The Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences with a specialization in Health-System Pharmacy Administration and Leadership prepares future health care leaders to manage complex health-system operations by providing education in management, business operations and leadership while supporting students’ residency pharmacy training.
Through this degree program students learn to:
- Conceptualize, plan, coordinate, and evaluate pharmaceutical care in organized health care settings.
- Employ managerial and financial skills to maintain and improve health system pharmacies.
- Design pharmacy services that meet the needs of the changing health care system.
- Convey concepts and ideas clearly and succinctly via verbal or written communication.
- Relay ideas that are well researched and objectively stated.
- Collect and interpret data useful to improving health system pharmacy services (data-driven decision making).
- Establish a vision for health-system pharmacy based on current and historical philosophies of pharmacy practice.
This program is offered in two formats:
The Ohio State University has been a leader in establishing the tradition of Health-System Pharmacy Administration & Leadership across the country. Beginning in 1959, this program has had more than 400 graduates, many of whom are nationally recognized leaders in pharmacy management. Our graduates include past ASHP presidents, Harvey A.K. Whitney recipients, and more than 50 current directors of pharmacy across the country.
It is not just the long-standing tradition that sets our program apart; it is also the thriving alumni community active in the Latiolais Leadership Program, which bears the motto "Enthusiasm for Excellence.” This group, consisting of past graduates, strives to address contemporary issues and provide effective strategies for improvement in Health-System Pharmacy leadership.