Dr. Kwiek’s research and outreach activities focus on the use of pharmacology as a context to engage science learners of all ages. She co-founded and co-leads Generation Rx, a national initiative aimed at promoting awareness of safe medication-taking practices and the dangers of prescription drug misuse. She is the Director of the Generation Rx Laboratory, an educational research laboratory at the Center for Science and Industry (COSI) in Columbus, Ohio. She also created the popular Pills, Potions, and Poisons summer science enrichment program for high school students. In addition to her research and outreach work, Dr. Kwiek leads the College of Pharmacy’s undergraduate programming, including the Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences (BSPS) program, the Pharmaceutical Science minor, and General Education teaching. In her role, she is actively involved with curricular development and implementation, program creation, and enhancement of the university student experience.
- 2007, Postdoctoral training, Duke University
- 2005, Ph.D., Duke University
- 2000, B.S., Ohio University Athens
- Inductee, Academy of Pharmacology Educators, 2016
- Best Oral Presentation, 2015
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences Distinguished Teaching Award, 2014
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences Distinguished Teaching Award, 2011
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences Distinguished Teaching Award, 2008
- Maxwell WD, Fabel PH, Diaz V, Walkow JC, Kwiek NC, Kanchanaraksa S, Wamsley M, Chen A, Bookstaver PB. Massive open online courses in U.S. healthcare education: Practical considerations and lessons learned from implementation. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2018 Jun;10(6):736-743.
- Le VT, Norris Turner A, McDaniel A, Hale KM, Athas C, Kwiek NC. Nonmedical use of over-the-counter medications is significantly associated with nonmedical use of prescription drugs among university students. J Am Coll Health. 2018 Jan;66(1):1-8.
- Turner AN, Maierhofer C, Funderburg NT, Snyder B, Small K, Clark J, Bazan JA, Kwiek NC, Kwiek JJ. High levels of self-reported prescription opioid use by HIV-positive individuals. AIDS Care. 2016 12;28(12):1559-1565.