Our research team members are engaged in pre-clinical target identification for pharmacologic treatment of neurodegenerative and psychiatric disorders. We use in vivo and in vitro high-resolution fluorescence microscopy and high-content analysis of live neurons to reveal complex interactions between signaling pathways that regulate cell survival/function and circadian clock signaling. This work is designed to identify new avenues of chronotherapeutic target development for CNS disorders. Current work focuses on two related themes: (1) Alzheimer’s Disease and desynchronization of cortico-limbic circadian rhythms and (2) MAPK signaling: gates, oscillators and circadian timing.
- PhD, Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Dean's Innovative Research Award, 2019
- Aten S, Kalidindi A, Yoon H, Rumbaugh G, Hoyt KR, Obrietan K. SynGAP is expressed in the murine suprachiasmatic nucleus and regulates circadian-gated locomotor activity and light-entrainment capacity. Eur J Neurosci. 2020 Nov 10.
- Aten S, Page CE, Kalidindi A, Wheaton K, Niraula A, Godbout JP, Hoyt KR, Obrietan K. miR-132/212 is induced by stress and its dysregulation triggers anxiety-related behavior. Neuropharmacology. 2018 Oct 18;144:256-270.
- Wheaton KL, Hansen KF, Aten S, Sullivan KA, Yoon H, Hoyt KR, Obrietan K. The Phosphorylation of CREB at Serine 133 Is a Key Event for Circadian Clock Timing and Entrainment in the Suprachiasmatic Nucleus. J Biol Rhythms. 2018 Oct;33(5):497-514.
- Aten S, Hansen KF, Snider K, Wheaton K, Kalidindi A, Garcia A, Alzate-Correa D, Hoyt KR, Obrietan K. miR-132 couples the circadian clock to daily rhythms of neuronal plasticity and cognition. Learn Mem. 2018 May;25(5):214-229.
- Wheaton K, Aten S, Queiroz LS, Sullivan K, Oberdick J, Hoyt KR, Obrietan K. Circadian expression and functional characterization of PEA-15 within the mouse suprachiasmatic nucleus. Eur J Neurosci. 2018 Apr;47(7):845-857.
- View all journal articles