August 3, 2021
As COVID-19 swept the nation and everyone scrambled to adjust to lockdown requirements in early 2020, experiential education teams across the country remained laser-focused on one thing – helping students complete their clinical rotations to meet graduation requirements.
Considering those herculean efforts, the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) recently awarded every colleges’ experiential education teams an award for Excellence in Experiential Education for the 2020-2021 academic year.
Members of the experiential education team at The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy worked tirelessly to provide additional assistance and peace of mind to professional students working through clinical rotations during a global pandemic. The creative innovations to sustain these important experiences ensured that all students met professional curriculum requirements prior to graduation.
Often and without warning, the experiential team had to adjust plans due to changing Centers of Disease Control guidelines or clinic protocols.
“As practice sites determined whether or not to continue to allow students on site, and our accrediting body released some additional guidance about how to meet requirements, it often felt like the goal post of graduation for these students was being moved,” said Katherine Kelley, PhD, associate dean for assessment and strategic initiatives at the Ohio State College of Pharmacy. “However, the experiential team remained positive, compassionate and collegial.”
The College of Pharmacy experiential education team includes:
From top left to right:
- Bonnie Spiers, Assistant Director of Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences
- Liz Trolli, Institutional Health-System Experiential Program Manager
- Gina Grumble, PharmD, Associate Director of Introduction to Pharmacy Practice Experiences
- Katie Marks, Program Manager, Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences
From bottom left to right:
- Julie Legg, PharmD, Director of Experiential Education
- Sarah Adkins, PharmD, BCACP, Clinical Pharmacist
- Ronni Ehlers, PharmD, Lecturer
- Ta-Tanisha Barrett, Quality and Compliance Analyst