Dr. Macarius Donneyong is an Assistant Professor with joint faculty appointments in the Colleges of Pharmacy and Public Health at The Ohio State University. He teaches courses on drug literature evaluation in the PharmD program and a graduate course on healthcare data analytics through the College of Public Health.
Dr. Donneyong’s research goal is to help improve the health of racial/ethnic minorities by generating information to improve adherence, safety and effectiveness of prescribed medication. His major research interest in this area include:
- The direct and indirect role of social determinants of health on medication utilization, adherence and effectiveness.
- The effect of patient-provider relationships on medication treatment outcomes.
- How to prevent harmful effects of drug-drug interactions: polypharmacy increases exposure to drug-drug interaction and is more prevalent among racial/ethnic minorities because of higher prevalence of multiple chronic conditions.
The Ohio State University, College of Public Health
2018 – Present: PUBHHMP 6625; Leveraging Healthcare Data for Practice and Policy Change, Principal instructor
The Ohio State University, College of Pharmacy
2017 – Present: PHR 6303; Concepts in Patient Care, Co-instructor
- 2013, PhD, University of Louisville
- 2009, MPH, Missouri State University
- 2005, BSc, University of Ghana
- Donneyong MM, Chang T-J, Jackson JW, et al. Structural and Social Determinants of Health Factors Associated with County-Level Variation in Non-Adherence to Antihypertensive Medication Treatment. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17, 6684; doi:10.3390/ijerph17186684. Accepted September 14, 2020.
- Donneyong MM, Chang T, Roth AR, Guilds M, Ankrah D, Najafzadeh M, Xu WY, Chlebowski RT, Margolis K, Manson JE. The Women’s Health Initiative Estrogen-alone Trial had differential disease and medical expenditure consequences across age groups. Menopause. February 2020.
- Donneyong MM, Kulik A, Gagne JJ. Patterns of Intravenous Corticosteroid Utilization in Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Surgery in the US. Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Therapeutics. October 2017.
- Donneyong MM, Reynolds CF, Mischoulon, D, et al.. A protocol for studying racial/ethnic disparities in depression care utilizing joint information from participant surveys and administrative claims databases: An observational cohort study. BMJ Open. January 2020.
- Donneyong MM, Bykov K, Bosco-Levy P, Dong YH, Levin R, Gagne JJ. Risk of mortality with concomitant use of tamoxifen and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: multi-database cohort study. British Medical Journal (BMJ). September 2016.
- View all journal articles