New natural product sources (new and unidentified fungal and bacterial microorganisms, microbial endophytes, new endemic and medicinal plant species, etc.) contain many undiscovered potential bioactive secondary metabolites that can be used to combat world’s deadly diseases including cancer, malaria, viral infections, and chemoresistance. Their investigation must be prioritized in order to discover new pharmacophores for potential drug candidates. My lab focuses on (1) bioassay-guided isolation, structural elucidation and development of bioactive compounds from natural sources, (2) Drug discovery from Madagascan natural products and (3) drug discovery from ethnomedicine. One of our recent ongoing projects is on the development of insecticides that can be used to control mosquito vector of Zika virus from Madagascan endemic plants.
- 2003, PhD, Hiroshima University, Pharmaceutical Sciences (Medicinal Natural Product Chemistry
- 1998, DEA (Diplome d'Etude Approfondie), Equivalent to MS, Mention "Tres bien", University of Antananarivo, Organic Chemistry/ Natural Product Chemistry
- JSPS-Bridge (Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science) Fellowship, 2017 - 2018
- Postdoctoral Fellowship from the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), 2005 - 2007
- Japanese Government (Mombukagakusho): Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), 1999 - 2003
- USE OF SESQUITERPENS AND THEIR ANALOGS AS GREEN INSECTICIDES FOR CONTROLLING DISEASE VECTORS AND PLANT PESTS (2016, April). OSURF T2015-271.
- Antimalarial phloroglucinol from Mallotus oppositifolius (2012, March). 61/717,824.
- Hypoglycemic agents containing bitter cucumber extracts, terpenoids isolated from them, and food and pharmaceutical compositions containing them (2005, November). JP 2007145782.
- Manwill, P.; Kalsi, M.; Wu, S.; Cheng, X. et al. Semi-synthetic Cinnamodial Analogues: Structural Insights into the Insecticidal and Antifeedant Activities of Drimane Sesquiterpenes Against the Mosquito Aedes aegypti 2019 Jan; .
- Dai, Y.; Liu, Y.; Rakotondraibe, L.R. Novel Bioactive Natural Products Isolated from Madagascar Plants and Marine Organisms (2009–2017) Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2018 May; 66(5):469-482.
- Karmahapatra, S.; Kientz, C.; Shetty, S.; Yalowich, J.C. et al. Capsicodendrin from Cinnamosma fragrans Exhibits Antiproliferative and Cytotoxic Activity in Human Leukemia Cells: Modulation by Glutathione Journal of Natural Products. 2018 Mar; 81(3):625-629.
- Wilson, T.A.; Tokarski, R.J.; Sullivan, P.; Demoret, R.M. et al. Total Synthesis of Scytonemide A Employing Weinreb AM Solid-Phase Resin Journal of Natural Products. 2018 Mar; 81(3):534-542.
- Inocente, E.A.; Shaya, M.; Acosta, N.; Rakotondraibe, L.H. et al. A natural agonist of mosquito TRPA1 from the medicinal plant Cinnamosma fragrans that is toxic, antifeedant, and repellent to the yellow fever mosquito Aedes aegypti PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 2018 Feb; 12(2):.
- View all journal articles