Parasitic diseases have a devastating effect on public health in developing areas of the world. Research in Karl Werbovetz’s group focuses on the discovery and development of new drug candidates against the protozoan parasitic diseases leishmaniasis, trypanosomiasis, and malaria, with most of our recent efforts concentrating on visceral leishmaniasis (VL) and human African trypanosomiasis (HAT).
- 1993, PhD, University of Virginia, Chemistry
- 1988, BS, State University of New York at Binghamton, Chemistry
- Distinguished Teaching Award, 2005
- 2,5-Diaryl Selenophene Compounds, Aza 2,5-Diaryl Thiophene Compounds, and their Prodrugs as Antiprotozoal Agents (2007, October). WO 2009/051796 A3.
- Teraryl Components as Antiparasitic Agents (2007, January). US 7964619.
- 5,5'-Bis-(4-amidinophenyl)-2,2'-bifuran Derivatives and Related Compounds as Antiprotozoal Agents and Prodrugs Thereof (2006, May). 06114189.1.
- Cationic Substituted Benzofurans as Antimicrobial Agents (2004, December). WO 2005/055935 A3.
- Reversed Amidines and Methods of Using for Treating, Preventing, or Inhibiting Leishmaniasis (2001, November). WO 02/036588 A3.
- View all patents
- He,Shanshan; Dayton,Alex; Kuppusamy,Periannan; Werbovetz,Karl,A; Drew,Mark,E Induction of Oxidative Stress in Trypanosoma brucei by the Antitrypanosomal Dihydroquinoline OSU-40 Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2012 May; 56(5):2428-2434.
- Zhu,Xiaohua; Pandharkar,Trupti; Werbovetz,Karl Identification of New Antileishmanial Leads from Hits Obtained by High-Throughput Screening Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2012 Mar; 56(3):1182-1189.
- Collar,Catharine,J; Zhu,Xiaohua; Werbovetz,Karl; Boykin,David,W; Wilson,W,David Molecular Factors Governing Inhibition of Arylimidamides against Leishmania: Conservative Computational Modeling to Improve Chemotherapies Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry. 2011 Aug; 19(15):4552-4561.
- Endeshaw,Molla,M; Li,Catherine; de Leon,Jessica; Yao,Ni; Latibeaudiere,Kirk; Premalatha,Kokku; Morrissette,Naomi; Werbovetz,Karl,A Synthesis and Evaluation of Oryzalin Analogs against Toxoplasma gondii Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 2010 Sep; 20(17):5179-5183.
- Fotie,Jean; Kaiser,Marcel; Delfin,Dawn,A; Manley,Joshua; Reid,Carolyn,S; Paris,Jean-Marc; Wenzler,Tanja; Maes,Louis; Mahasenan,Kiran,V; Li,Chenglong; Werbovetz,Karl,A Antitrypanosomal Activity of 1,2-Dihydroquinolin-6-ols and Their Ester Derivatives Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2010 Feb; 53(3):966-982.
- View all journal articles