Natural products have always played a key role for medicinal chemists in the process of drug discovery. Employing the structural scaffolds and biological activities of these compounds as a starting point, our group uses synthetic chemistry as a tool to probe biological problems. Specifically, Dr. Fuchs’ lab utilizes synthetic methods to prepare bioactive natural products and their analogues, gain insights into the structure–activity relationships of ligand/receptor systems, and investigate biosynthetic pathways. Ultimately, the goal of this research is not simply to prepare these compounds, but to improve upon their activity and pharmacological profiles by focusing on their properties.
- 2007, Postdoctoral Fellow, The Scripps Research Institute, Medicinal/Organic Chemistry
- 2005, PhD, Pennsylvania State University, Organic Chemistry
- 1998, BS, cum laude, University Honors, Honors in Chemistry, University of Toledo, Chemistry
- Young AN, Herrera D, Huntsman AC, Korkmaz MA, Lantvit DD, Mazumder S, Kolli S, Coss CC, King S, Wang H, Swanson SM, Kinghorn AD, Zhang X, Phelps MA, Aldrich LN, Fuchs JR, Burdette JE. Phyllanthusmin Derivatives Induce Apoptosis and Reduce Tumor Burden in High-Grade Serous Ovarian Cancer by Late-Stage Autophagy Inhibition. Mol Cancer Ther. 2018 Oct;17(10):2123-2135.
- Crnkovic CM, Krunic A, May DS, Wilson TA, Kao D, Burdette JE, Fuchs JR, Oberlies NH, Orjala J. Calothrixamides A and B from the Cultured Cyanobacterium Calothrix sp. UIC 10520.J Nat Prod. 2018 Sep 28;81(9):2083-2090.
- Woodard JL, Huntsman AC, Patel PA, Chai HB, Kanagasabai R, Karmahapatra S, Young AN, Ren Y, Cole MS, Herrera D, Yalowich JC, Kinghorn AD, Burdette JE, Fuchs JR. Synthesis and antiproliferative activity of derivatives of the phyllanthusmin class of arylnaphthalene lignan lactones. Bioorg Med Chem. 2018 05 15;26(9):2354-2364.
- Wilson TA, Tokarski RJ, Sullivan P, Demoret RM, Orjala J, Rakotondraibe LH, Fuchs JR. Total Synthesis of Scytonemide A Employing Weinreb AM Solid-Phase Resin. J Nat Prod. 2018 Mar 23;81(3):534-542.
- Hoyte AC, Jamin AV, Koneru PC, Kobe MJ, Larue RC, Fuchs JR, Engelman AN, Kvaratskhelia M. Resistance to pyridine-based inhibitor KF116 reveals an unexpected role of integrase in HIV-1 Gag-Pol polyprotein proteolytic processing. J Biol Chem. 2017 12 01;292(48):19814-19825.
- View all journal articles