Dr. Yalowich’s lab focuses on the mechanisms of action and resistance to DNA topoisomerase II (topo II)-targeted agents, such as the anticancer agent etoposide (VP-16). Recent work has characterized alternative RNA processing of topo IIα pre-mRNA that results in decreased expression of full-length topo II in acquired resistance to VP-16. Strategies to circumvent resistance involve CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing to restore proper RNA splicing function in resistant cells. A second project involves the role of micro-RNAs as determinants of drug resistance. Finally, the use of nutritional antioxidants (such as vitamin C) is under investigation as a strategy to prevent cancer-causing effects of topo II-targeted agents, which can arise in patients years after therapy is complete.
- 1980, PhD, University at Buffalo, State University of New York
- 1974, BA, Lehigh University
- 2017-present: Secretary-Treasurer; Division for Cancer Pharmacology; American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- 2016-present: Editorial Board; Journal of Pharmacology and Experimential Therapeutics
- 2015-present: Editorial Board; Cancer Biology and Therapy
- 2015-2017: Chair; Division of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University
- 2012-2016: Chair; Molecular Targets for Cancer Intervention [ZRG BMCT-C (01)] study section, National Cancer Institute (NCI/NIH)
- View all honors
- Elton, T.S., Ozer, H.G., and Yalowich, J.C. Effects of Topoisomerase IIα (TOP2α) Splice Variants on Acquired Drug Resistance. Cancer Drug Resistance; 3:[Online First], Feb. 27, 2020; DOI: 10.20517/cdr.2019.117
- Kania, E.E., Carvajal-Moreno, J., Hernandez, V.A., English, A., Papa, J.L., Shkolnikov, N., Ozer, H.G., Yilmaz, A.S., Yalowich, J.C., and Elton, T.S. has-miR-9-3p and has-miR-9-5p as post-trancriptional modulators of DNA topoisomerase IIα in human leukemia K562 cells with acquired resistance to etoposide. Mol Pharm.; 97 (3): 159-170, 2020.
- Li, L., Okumu, A.A., Nolan, S., English, A., Vibhute, S., Lu, Y., Hervert-Thomas, K., Seffernick, J.T., Azap, L., Cole, S.L., Shinabarger, D., Koeth, L.M., Lindert, S., Yalowich, J.C., Wozniak, D.J., and Mitton-Fry, M.J. 1.3-Dioxane-linde bacterial topoisomerase inhibitors with enhanced antibacterial activity and reduced hERG inhibition. ACS Infect. Dis.; 5 (7): 1115-1128, 2019.
- Li L, Okumu A, Dellos-Nolan S, Li Z, Karmahapatra S, English A, Yalowich JC, Wozniak DJ, Mitton-Fry MJ. Synthesis and anti-staphylococcal activity of novel bacterial topoisomerase inhibitors with a 5-amino-1,3-dioxane linker moiety. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2018 Aug 01;28(14):2477-2480.
- Woodard JL, Huntsman AC, Patel PA, Chai HB, Kanagasabai R, Karmahapatra S, Young AN, Ren Y, Cole MS, Herrera D, Yalowich JC, Kinghorn AD, Burdette JE, Fuchs JR. Synthesis and antiproliferative activity of derivatives of the phyllanthusmin class of arylnaphthalene lignan lactones. Bioorg Med Chem. 2018 05 15;26(9):2354-2364.
- View all journal articles