The research interests of Dr. Kinghorn are on the isolation, characterization, and biological evaluation of natural products of higher plant origin, and he has worked in particular on compounds with potential antimicrobial, cancer chemotherapeutic, cancer chemopreventive, sweet-tasting, and bitterness-blocking effects. Dr. Kinghorn is the former Editor in Chief (1994-2019) and current Emeritus Editor (2020-present) of the "Journal of Natural Products" (co-published by the American Chemical Society and the American Society of Pharmacognosy) and is Series Editor in Chief of the book series "Progress in the Chemistry of Organic Natural Products" (published by Springer Nature, Cham, Switzerland) (2008-present).
- 1990, D.Sc., University of London
- 1975, Ph.D., University of London
- 1970, M.S., University of Strathclyde
- 1969, B.Pharm. (Special), University of Bradford
- Egon Stahl Award in Gold, GA (Society of Medicinal Plant and Natural Product Research), 2020
- Dr. Norman R. Farnsworth Keynote Lecturer, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2016
- Distinguished Scholar Awardee (DSA), The Ohio State University, 2016
- Coy W. Waller Distinguished Lecture Award, University of Mississippi, 2014
- David Chu Lecture Award, University of Buffalo, 2014
- View all honors
- Chang LS, Oblinger JL, Burns SS, Huang J, Anderson LW, Hollingshead MG, Shen R, Pan L, Agarwal G, Ren Y, Roberts RD, O'Keefe BR, Kinghorn AD, Collins JM. Targeting Protein Translation by Rocaglamide and Didesmethylrocaglamide to Treat MPNST and Other Sarcomas. Mol Cancer Ther. 2020 Mar;19(3):731-741.
- Agarwal G, Carcache PJB, Addo EM, Kinghorn AD. Current status and contemporary approaches to the discovery of antitumor agents from higher plants. Biotechnol Adv. 2020 Jan-Feb;38:107337.
- Ren Y, Ribas HT, Heath K, Wu S, Ren J, Shriwas P, Chen X, Johnson ME, Cheng X, Burdette JE, Kinghorn AD. Na +/K +-ATPase-Targeted Cytotoxicity of (+)-Digoxin and Several Semisynthetic Derivatives. J Nat Prod. 2020 Mar 27;83(3):638-648.
- Shriwas P, Chen X, Kinghorn AD, Ren Y. Plant-derived glucose transport inhibitors with potential antitumor activity. Phytother Res. 2020 May;34(5):1027-1040.
- Anaya-Eugenio GD, Eggers NA, Ren Y, Rivera-ChÁvez J, Kinghorn AD, Carcache DE Blanco EJ. Apoptosis Induced by (+)-Betulin Through NF-κB Inhibition in MDA- MB-231 Breast Cancer Cells. Anticancer Res. 2020 Dec;40(12):6637-6647.
- View all journal articles