The research interests of Dr. Kinghorn are on the isolation, characterization, and biological evaluation of natural products of higher plant origin, and he has worked in particular on compounds with potential antimicrobial, cancer chemotherapeutic, cancer chemopreventive, sweet-tasting, and bitterness-blocking effects. Dr. Kinghorn is the Editor in Chief of the "Journal of Natural Products" (co-published by the American Chemical Society and the American Society of Pharmacognosy) (1994-present) and is Series Editor in Chief of the book series "Progress in the Chemistry of Organic Natural Products" (published by Springer International, Cham, Switzerland) (2008-present).
- 1990, D.Sc., University of London
- 1975, Ph.D., University of London
- 1970, M.S., University of Strathclyde
- 1969, B.Pharm. (Special), University of Bradford
- Distinguished Scholar Awardee (DSA), The Ohio State University, 2016
- Coy W. Waller Distinguished Lecture Award, University of Mississippi, 2014
- David Chu Lecture Award, University of Buffalo, 2014
- Honorary Member, Phytochemical Society of Asia, 2012
- Honorary Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) degree, University of Bradford, 2011
- View all honors
- Young, A.N., D. Herrera, A.C. Huntsman, M.A. Korkmaz, D.D. Lantvit, S. Mazumdar, S, Kolli, C. Coss, S. King, H. Wang, S.M. Swanson, A.D. Kinghorn, X. Zhang, M.A. Phelps, L.N. Aldrich, J.R. Fuchs, and J.E. Burdette. 2018. Phyllanthusmin derivatives induce apoptosis and reduce tumor burden in high grade serous ovarian cancer by late-stage authophagy inhibition. Mol. Cancer Ther. 17:2123-2135.
- Ren, Y., G.D. Anaya-Eugenio, A.A. Czarnecki, T.N. Ninh, C. Yuan, H.-B. Chai, D.D. Soejarto, J.E. Burdette, E.J. Carcache de Blanco, and A.D. Kinghorn. 2018. Cytotoxic and NF-kB and mitochondrial transmembrane potential inhibitory pentacyclic triterpenoids from Syzygium corticosum and their semi-synthetic derivatives. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 26:4452-4460.
- Woodard, J.L., A.C. Huntsman, P.A. Patel, H.-B. Chai, R. Kanagasabai, S. Karmahapatra, A.N. Young, Y. Ren, J.C. Yalowich, A.D. Kinghorn, J.E. Burdette, and J.R. Fuchs. 2018. Synthesis and antiproliferative activity of derivatives of the phyllanthusmin class of arylnaphthalene lignan lactones. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 26:2354-2364
- Ren, Y, J.C. Gallucci, X. Li, L. Chen, J. Yu, and A.D. Kinghorn. 2018. Crystal structures and human leukemic cell inducible activities of parthenolide analogues isolated from Piptocoma rufescens. J. Nat. Prod. 81:554-561. (Special issue in honor of Dr. Susan Band Horwitz).
- Oblinger, J.L., Burns, S.S., Huang, J., Pan, L., Ren, Y., Shen, R., Kinghorn, A.D., Welling, D.B., and Chang, L.-S. 2018. Overexpression of eIF4F components in meningiomas and suppression of meningioma cell growth by inhibiting translation initiation. Exp. Neurol. 299:299-307.
- View all journal articles