Organic / Medicinal Chemistry and Chemical Biology
The Peterson laboratory synthesizes chemical tools for studies of biological systems. We investigate diverse biological targets, and we extensively employ fluorescence-based and imaging-based methods to evaluate the effects of small molecules on isolated proteins, living cells, and model organisms. Working in the fields of organic / medicinal chemistry and chemical biology, our recent research efforts have been focused on the discovery of new types of anticancer agents, identification of their biomolecular targets, and the synthesis of probes of molecular mechanisms of action.
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Nevada, Reno, 1990
- Ph.D. Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles, 1994
- Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell Cancer Research Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard University 1995-1998
- Named the John W. Wolfe Chair in Cancer Research, 2020
- Elected Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2013
- Regents Distinguished Professor of Medicinal Chemistry, The University of Kansas, 2008-2019
- Named an Eminent Scholar by the Kansas Bioscience Authority, 2008
- Camille Dreyfus Teacher Scholar, 2004
- See more honors
- Exploiting the fibroblast growth factor receptor-1 vulnerability to therapeutically restrict the MYC-EZH2-CDKN1C axis-driven proliferation in Mantle cell lymphoma, Leukemia. 2023 Oct | journal-article. doi: 10.1038/s41375-023-02006-8.
- Fluorescent Detection of Peroxynitrite Produced by Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells in Cancer and Inhibition by Dasatinib, ACS Pharmacology & Translational Science. 2023 May | journal-article. doi: 10.1021/acsptsci.3c00014.
- Photoluminescent Properties and Mechanism of Novel Cyanine‐Borondifluoride Curcuminoid Hybrids as Red‐to‐Near Infrared and Endoplasmic Reticulum‐Targeting Dyes, Chemistry – A European Journal. 2023 Apr | journal-article. doi: 10.1002/chem.202300315.
- Quantification of Engagement of Microtubules by Small Molecules in Living Cells by Flow Cytometry, ACS Bio & Med Chem Au. 2022 Oct | journal-article. doi: 10.1021/acsbiomedchemau.2c00031.
- Pacific Blue-Taxoids as Fluorescent Molecular Probes of Microtubules, Methods in Molecular Biology. 2022 Jan | book-chapter. doi: 10.1007/978-1-0716-1983-4_28.
- See more publications