Inception of the college
The Department of Pharmacy was created with a three-year course leading to a certificate of "Graduate of Pharmacy" (GPh) in direct relation to a state law that was passed requiring all persons practicing pharmacy to obtain a state license. George Beecher Kauffman is named the first dean and the department is housed in the Chemical Laboratory Building.
Blazing the trail
Ohio State becomes the first in the nation to require a three-year Graduate in Pharmacy (PhG) degree.
Arthur Heath, George Weidner and Charles Krieger are Ohio State's first pharmacy program graduates.
The college's first move
Pharmacy is moved to Botanical Hall
The second move
Pharmacy moves from Botanical Hall to the Second Chemistry Building (present site of Brown Hall).
A new name
As part of a university-wide plan, the department becomes the College of Pharmacy. Along with five other units, they are the first colleges on campus. 48 students are enrolled in two programs; an optional two year course leading to a “Certificate of Pharmaceutical Chemist” (PhG) or a four year course leading to a “BSc in Pharmacy”.
Arthur Lawrence becomes the first African American graduate of the College of Pharmacy.
The first Bachelor of Science graduate
The first bachelor of science is granted to Charles H. Kimberly.
Fire forces another move
On February 19, the Second Chemistry Building burns down when a gas burner is left on in one of the classrooms. Pharmacy moves to the Veterinary Laboratory.
First "real" home
Pharmacy moves to its first permanent home in Third Chemical Hall, today called Derby Hall.
Dean Claire A. Dye
Claire A. Dye is appointed the second dean of the college.
Ahead of the curve
The college ceases to offer the optional two year degree, requiring all students to complete a four year program. This would not be a requirement enforced by all colleges of pharmacy until 1932.
The Kappa Psi professional fraternity establishes the Xi chapter at Ohio State.
While Derby Hall undergoes renovations, pharmacy is moved to the new Chemistry Building, now called McPherson Chemical Laboratories.
Dean Dye secures new space
The College of Pharmacy is moved into the new Pharmacy and Bacteriology Building located at 1958 Neil Avenue, built specifically for Pharmacy when Dean Dye successfully initiated a $250,000 legislative appropriation.
Dean Bernard V. Christensen
Bernard V. Christensen is appointed dean. In the same year, the first regular graduate programs at the MS and PhD levels are established.
First PhD graduate
Arthur E. Schwarting becomes the first PhD graduate of the College under the direction of his major professor, L. David Hiner.
Roy C. Darlington
Roy C. Darlington becomes the first African American in the nation to graduate with a PhD in the pharmaceutical sciences.
Again ahead of the curve
Ohio State becomes the first program in the nation to require a five year program. A two + three (year) program was implemented. This would not be a requirement enforces by all colleges of pharmacy until 1960.
Interim dean Loyd E. Harris
Loyd E. Harris is appointed interim dean.
Dean Lloyd M. Parks
Lloyd M. Parks appointed dean of the college
Residency in hospital pharmacy
Clifton Latiolais implements Ohio State's residency program in hospital pharmacy.
College of Pharmacy moves to Parks Hall
On August 15, 1967, Pharmacy is moved to 500 W. 12th Ave. - what is now known as Parks Hall. There are 24 full-time and 11 part-time faculty members.
The college changes from the two+three year program to a one+four year program.
The first computer is installed in the college.
Building named in honor of dean
The building at 500 W. 12th Ave. is dedicated as the Lloyd M. Parks Hall in honor of the college's fourth dean.
Dean Albert H. Soloway
Albert H. Soloway is appointed dean.
Professional Experience Program
The College’s Professional Experience Program is initiated with required externship rotations and institutional practice.
Alumni Society is chartered
The College of Pharmacy Alumni Society is chartered. Josephine Sitterle Failer, a 1939 graduate of the College, is named the first president.
Pediatric Pharmacotherapy Fellowship created
Milap Nahata developed a pediatric pharmacotherapy fellowship.
Dean John M. Cassady
John M. Cassady is appointed dean.
The Riffe Building
The Vernal G. Riffe Building is dedicated and contains a new biological sciences/pharmacy library and research facilities.
Ohio State becomes the first in the nation to implement a true graduate-professional configuration for the entry-level PharmD.
Dean Robert W. Brueggemeier
Robert W. Brueggemeier appointed dean.
Leading the way
The College of Pharmacy becomes among the first in the nation to require a baccalaureate degree before matriculation into the Doctor of Pharmacy program.
Dean Henry J. Mann
Henry J. Mann is appointed dean.