Dale Hoyt's lab is interested in endothelial cell injury, dysfunction, and death. As endothelial cells line the inside of all blood vessels, damage to them impairs the normal operation of the circulatory system and leads to life-threatening diseases. Pulmonary fibrosis and atherosclerosis are examples. Conversely, endothelium in the tumor vasculature is a potentially important target for antitumor therapy. One of the lab's goals is to develop drugs to manipulate the sensitivity of endothelium to DNA damaging agents, including oxidants, in order to inhibit endothelial injury in normal tissue, or to enhance it in cancer. As an example, engagement of integrin cell adhesion receptors inhibits endothelial DNA breakage and cell death caused by several unrelated types of agents. We are investigating how nuclear structure is altered by integrins, and the signal transduction paths that are activated. We are also interested in the phosphorylation signals that affect vascular stress responses and cancer.
- MS, PhD, Oregon State University
- BA, Humboldt State University
- Newell, B.W.; Spaulding, A.M.; Lee, N.Y.; Hoyt, D.G. Roscovitine inhibits endotoxin-induced lung inflammation in mice lacking peptidylprolyl cis/trans isomerase, NIMAinteracting 1 (PIN1) Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. 2016 Jul; 1(3):63-66.
- Pan, C.C.; Shah, N.; Kumar, S.; Wheeler, S.E. et al. Angiostatic actions of capsicodendrin through selective inhibition of VEGFR2-mediated AKT signaling and disregulated autophagy Oncotarget. 2016 May; 21;8(8):12675-12685.
- Pan, C.C.; Kumar, S.; Shah, N.; Bloodworth, J.C. et al. Endoglin Regulation of Smad2 Function Mediates Beclin1 Expression and Endothelial Autophagy. J Biol Chem. 2015 Jun; 290(24):14884-14892.
- Liu, T.; Schneider, R.A.; Lee, N.Y.; Hoyt, D.G. Peptidylprolyl cis/trans isomerase, NIMA-interacting 1 (PIN1) regulates pulmonary effects of endotoxin and tumor necrosis factor-α in mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014 Sep; 452(3):468-472.
- Pan, C.C.; Kumar, S.; Shah, N.; Hoyt, D.G. et al. Src-mediated post-translational regulation of endoglin stability and function is critical for angiogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2014 Sep; 289(37):25486-25496.
- View all journal articles