What is CarmenCanvas?
CarmenCanvas is Ohio State’s learning management system (LMS) – it “provides a set of integrated web course tools that can be used to supplement a class taught mostly face-to-face or can be used to teach an online course.”
How do I access it?
You will need a name.# to log-in and access the LMS. To log-in, open a web browser and visit https://carmen.osu.edu.
CarmenCanvas Overview and Basics
Here is a list of resources and videos to help you get familiar with CarmenCanvas and how to use it for your course. If you have any questions about how to use a feature or set up your course, please contact the Instructional Design Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. A team member will get back to you during normal business hours.
Note: PharmD CarmenCanvas courses use a template. To learn more about the template design, contact email@example.com.
Getting Started with CarmenCanvas (ODEE Resource)
Create a Course (ODEE Resource)
Once you have created an Assignment in Canvas, you can add a Rubric to make grading easier and to let the students know how they will be assessed.
Adding a Rubric (Existing)
- In Carmen (Canvas), click on Assignments.
- Navigate to the assignment you want and click on the assignment to open it.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the +RUBRIC button.
- Click on Find a Rubric to choose an existing rubric.
- Choose your rubric from the list and click on the Use This Rubric button when you have finished.
TIP: Enlarge the pop up box or scroll down to see the Use This Rubric button.
Creating and Adding a New Rubric
TIP: If you begin with a rubric built in Word or Pages, you can copy and paste all of your information into this template.
- Follow Steps 1 – 3 above.
- Click in Criteria box and write or copy/paste your description of the dimension.
- Click +Criterion to add more dimensions.
- Click the pencil in the Ratings boxes to edit the number of points for each level and add your description. Use the + sign to add another rating level. Repeat this step for each new level.
- Use the Description box to list details of the expectations for each rating (you can still copy/paste into this box even though it’s very small.) Click OK when done. Repeat this step for each rating level.
- Click Create Rubric to finish.
Using a Rubric to Grade in Speed Grader
- In CarmenCanvas open Assignments and click on the specific assignment you need to grade
- Click on SpeedGrader
- Click on View Rubric
- Click the appropriate boxes in the rubric to grade the assignment
- Click Save when finished
- Add a comment for individualized feedback and click Submit
Grade items must be created as an Assignment in order for it to show up in Grades. This is regardless of whether or not you want students to submit an assignment in Carmen, or just an enter a grade for a paper-based assignment.
Creating a New Assignment (no submission)
- In Carmen (Canvas), click on Assignments.
- Navigate to the correct assignment Group, and click on the + symbol to add a quick assignment entry.
- Enter in the assignment information and click Save.
Creating a New Assignment (online submission)
- In Carmen (Canvas), click on Assignments
- In the upper right-hand corner, click on the red +ASSIGNMENT button.
- Enter in your assignment information.
TIP: Be as detailed as possible in your description. This will cut back on students questions about an assignment.
- Under Assignment Group, select the correct group (based on organization OR weights).
- Under Submission Type, select Online from the drop down menu. This will allow to students to submit an assignment online. There are several different options to explore, including restricting the file types or enabling Turnitin submissions.
- Click Save or Save & Publish when finished.
Final Grades: Tips and Tricks
Enter “0” for missing assignments
You must enter a “0” for missing assignments. Do not leave it ungraded. This will artificially inflate the students final grade, causing a discrepancy between the Final Grades column in CarmenCanvas and the posted grade in the Faculty Center.
TIP: If there is a dash symbol (-), then a grade needs entered.
TIP: If there is a document or quiz symbol this means a submission has been made and it still needs to be graded.
Adding Extra Credit to the Entire Course
If your course uses weighted grades, then you can add an assignment category that’s worth the extra percentage you want (for example, 1%). Make sure that when you add the non-extra-credit assignment group weights, they add up to 100%. Inside your extra credit group, you can put an actual graded assignment (worth 10 points, for example). The final grade for the course will be out of 101%. If someone doesn’t do the extra credit assignment, their grade won’t be harmed since their grade is still out of 100%.
If your course is using points-based grades, then you can create a grade item worth 0 points. After figuring out how many bonus points to give (such as 10 points), you can then give students this as the grade for this grade item (for example, 10/0). Again, if someone doesn’t do this assignment, it won’t hurt their overall grade.Transferring Grades in CarmenCanvas
At the end of the semester, transferring grades is done by logging into CarmenCanvas and pairing up with the SIS through the Faculty Center.
Transferring Final Grades
Go to carmen.osu.edu
- Find the course you want to transfer grades from and click on the gear icon next to it.
- Select Final Grades
- Click on Begin Transfer Process button.
- Check through the grades to be sure that what shows here is what the students have earned.
- When you are sure that the grades are correct, click on Transfer Final Grades
- Click Transfer on the next pop-up
- Once the grades have been processed, you will get a result summary. Review for any errors.
- To finalize your grade transfer, click on Go To Faculty Center
Faculty Center: Grades Roster
- Log-in to the Faculty Center (you will be asked to authenticate)
- Under Faculty Center > My Schedule, make sure the correct term is selected. If not, click on Change Term to select the current term.
- From the list of courses, select the Grades Roster icon (second icon in from the left).
- If the Final Grades Transfer process worked, a list of grades should appear next to the student names. If the student earned an Incomplete, click on the drop down arrow and the letter grade to an “I”.
- Be sure to click Save after making changes.
- Once grades are confirmed as correct, click Post.
TIP: Clicking Post is final. Once this has been clicked, you cannot change the grades without using a Change of Grade form from the registrar’s office.
The Notifications you receive from Carmen can be a real help in keeping up with grading, discussions and due dates. But, if you are receiving too much email from CarmenCanvas, you can set your Notifications preferences to receive a report daily, weekly, or stop them altogether.
- When you open your dashboard or course, click on the avatar icon
- Then choose Notifications
You can set your notifications to notify you right away, to send a daily or weekly summary, or to be completely off.
Choose the Notification you want to change from the list provided, and click the appropriate icon to set the preference.
TIP: You can set each notification for email and the application on a mobile device.
Turning Notifications Off
If you are giving only one or two lectures in a class and don’t need to hear about every announcement and grade given, simply switch your Notifications preferences to “Do not send me anything”.
Using CarmenCanvas to organize and distribute content can make life easier for you and your students. Here are a few tips for organization and a quick walk through of how to upload files to CarmenCanvas. Once your files are uploaded, you can create Modules or Page links to make them visible to students.
- To get to the Files page, click on Files in the Course Navigation Menu. The fact that it’s greyed-out only means that it’s hidden from Students, not instructors.
- To create a folder, click on the +Folder button
- Enter the name of your folder and click the check box when finished.
TIP: We suggest organizing by weeks, sections or topics to help you find what you need. So, you might make folders named Week 1, Week 2, etc… or Section 1, Section 2, etc…
- Click on the folder you want to add your files to
- Click the Upload Button
- Your File Manager (PC) or Finder (Mac) will open to allow you to choose your file.
- Click Open to upload the files.
TIP: If you are uploading more than one file to this folder, you can hold the Control key (PC) or Command key (Mac) while you click on your files. Then choose Open to upload.
CarmenCanvas limits file storage to 500 MB per course, so be aware that you may need to optimize PDF files to save space. In addition, the Instructional Designers can assist you with alternative storage solutions for larger files.
Making it Visible
In order for students to see your files, you must attach them to a Module or make a link on a Page. You can find more information about how to do that by visiting the Canvas website:
Or contact the Instructional Designers for assistance (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Settings tab in CarmenCanvas gives you the access you need to set up some crucial elements of your course: Navigation, Grading Scheme, Importing Content.
A Quick Tour of the Settings Screen
Settings Page Tabs
The tabs at the top of the Settings page will take you to different aspects of the course settings. You will primarily deal with Course Details and Navigation.
Course Navigation Menu
This is the menu that your students will see. The greyed-out entries are tabs that only the instructor can access or that have no content in them. To access the Settings screen, click Settings in this menu.
This list of links allows you to import and export course content, view the course statistics and access the course from a student perspective.
Setting Up Navigation
- From the Settings Page choose the Navigation Tab.
- Drag and drop any item you don’t want to have accessible for students from the top list to the bottom list.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Navigation page and click Save.
TIP: The Course Navigation Menu graphic (above) displays our suggested navigation list and order.
Importing a CarmenCanvas Course
- Click on the Course Details tab
- Click on Import Course Content in the Utility Bar
- Click the Content Type dropdown box
- Choose Copy a Canvas Course
- Click on the Search for a Course dropdown box and choose the course you want to import from the list.
- Choose “All Content” to copy the entire course (Recommended)
TIP: If you want to move only certain elements, please contact the Instructional Designers at COP-Design@osu.edu
- Click Import
- Depending on how big the course is and how much must be moved, this can take a few minutes.
Setting Up the Course Details
Set the Start and End Dates and check the box marked “Users can only participate…”
- Check the Enable Grading Scheme box and click the “”set grading scheme” link to be sure to check that the default grading scheme matches yours. To set the grading scheme to a different scheme, please contact the Instructional Designers at COP-Design@osu.edu
- More Options – To set up Announcements on the Home Page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “more options” link. Click the “Show recent announcements…” checkbox and set the desired number of announcements to show.
- You will also find Discussion Forum settings, some Group and some grade book settings here. Check through the options if you plan to use discussion forums or groups. For more assistance, contact the Instructional Designers at COP-Design@osu.edu
Using SpeedGrader makes grading written assignments easy and convenient. SpeedGrader can be accessed on CarmenCanvas through the Assignments tab.
- Go to your Assignments tab
- Click on the assignment you want to grade
- Click on the SpeedGrader utility at the right of the screen
TIPS: To see how much grading still needs to be done, look at the Submissions Graded count. To work offline, click Download Submissions. Keep in mind, this downloads all the submissions and will take them out of SpeedGrader.
Grading in SpeedGrader
SpeedGrader puts all your grading tools in one window to make grading easier.
- Comment on the document using the commenting tools in the toolbar (as shown above)
- Assign the grade
TIP: To access a pre-set rubric in SpeedGrader, click View Rubric and then click in the appropriate boxes to assign points.
- Make overall assignment comments in Assessment sidebar
- Use the video button to add an audio/video comment
- Type in or use the speech recognition button to enter your text comments
Click Submit to save the student’s grade and your comments