The Pharmacology Weekly Journal Club meetings will take place Monday’s from 4:30-5:45 p.m. in 544 Parks Hall.
As in the past, undergraduate and graduate student presentations will involve recently published papers that relate to the topic of their mentor’s/advisor’s laboratory, in general, or to the student’s dissertation project specifically. Students will consult with their mentors to choose a suitable paper to present.
After a paper is chosen please send an email to Maria Knowles (firstname.lastname@example.org), and to Jack Yalowich (email@example.com), at least one week in advance, that includes a PDF and a link for the paper to be presented. Maria will facilitate posting a link on the College of Pharmacy website calendar.
In addition, the weekly paper will be posted on the Pharm 8730/4470 course site in Carmen/Canvas.
Journal Club presentations should be made in the following order:
- A brief lay summary (a simple explanation of the paper as if to a non-scientific audience)
- An Introduction that reviews the background and purpose of the paper
- How this paper relates to work ongoing in the advisor’s/mentor’s lab(s)
- Figures and Tables for discussion of results
- Conclusions, critical evaluations (strengths and weaknesses of the paper), and suggestions to extend/improve the work.
- Presentation quality; professional comportment; effective response to questions.
- Active participation in discussion throughout the semester.
- Attendance is required; each unexcused absence will result in a decrease by 1 full grade (e.g. A to B; B to C). For an excused absence, a one page critical evaluation of that week’s paper will be required as a make-up.
FOOD: Some form of food/refreshment will be provided (by the course director) for each journal club. Bring your own beverage.
All Division of Pharmaceutics and Pharmacology personnel (AND OTHERS) are invited to Journal Club. The more the merrier!
Jack C. Yalowich, Ph.D.
Contemporary Pharmacology (Journal Club)
Pharmacy 4470/8730, Autumn 2019
Mondays, 4:30 – 6:00 pm in 544 Parks Hall
Instructor: Jack Yalowich., Ph.D.
Sept. 9 - Brenna Weadick
Sept. 16 - Stephen Baine
Sept. 23 - Victor Hernandez
Sept. 30 - Ruohan Zhang
Oct. 7 - Zoe Li
Oct. 14 - Justin Thomas
Oct. 21 - Yang Yu
Oct. 28 - Shruthi Shetty
Nov. 4 - Yonger Xue
Nov. 18 - Sarah Bee
Nov. 25 - Abigail Klein