Doctor of Pharmacy Admissions
A bachelor’s degree in any major is required for admission to The Ohio State University Doctor of Pharmacy program.
General Requirement Description
Ohio State Course Number
|Human Anatomy/lab||Anatomy 2300 or EEOB 2510|
|Introductory Biology/lab||Biology 1113|
|General Chemistry/lab||Chemistry 1210-1220|
|Organic Chemistry/lab||Chemistry 2510, 2520, 2540, and 2550|
|Basic Microbiology/lab||Microbiology 4000|
|Physics/lab (regular or calculus based)||Physics 1200-1201|
Ohio State utilizes the Pharmacy College Application Service (PharmCAS) in the admission process and encourages students to begin the application process 12-18 months prior to their intended enrollment date. The PharmCAS application system opens for new applicants June 1st of each year, for student seeking admission for the following autumn. January 1st is the application deadline to be considered for the next cohort which begins at the start of autumn semester.
The Ohio State Doctor of Pharmacy program operates on rolling admission. Review of applicants begins in September. Interviews occur between October and April. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible after the opening of the PharmCAS application on June 1st.
The admission committee consists of faculty and staff who use the following criteria to review candidates:
- Performance in prerequisite course work
- Cumulative and math/science grade-point averages (minimum of 3.0 for consideration with a typical competitive range of 3.15-4.0)
- Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT) scores (minimum percentile of 50 with a typical competitive range of 60-99)
- Pharmacy experience
- Full disclosure of prior misdemeanor or felony convictions
- Personal statements completed by the applicant
- Extracurricular leadership and work experience
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal interviews
- International candidates will need to submit test scores for Test of English as a Foreign Language or Michigan English Language Assessment Battery scores for non-native English speakers (minimum TOEFL score of 577 or MELAB of 84)
All applicants to the Ohio State PharmD program should send three letters of recommendation directly to PharmCAS. Please follow directions on their website to submit these letters.
For questions pertaining to the application process for the PharmD program, please e-mail email@example.com
For your application to be considered complete, and to be reviewed for admission in the active candidate pool, applicants must complete the Ohio State supplemental application. Upon submission and verification of your PharmCAS application candidates will be emailed by Ohio State to create an Ohio State user ID and account login information. The following day students will have access to the supplemental application through the Applicant Center.
The supplemental application will ask student to answer basic personal information and complete four short essay questions. Those questions are:
- Describe your interest in the PharmD program at The Ohio State University. (250 words or less)
- How did you become aware of the PharmD program at The Ohio State University? (250 words or less)
- Briefly describe your pharmacy related experience (e.g., pharmacy technician positions, shadowing, clubs and organizations, etc.) that has helped you make the decision to pursue a career in pharmacy. (250 words or less)
- What strengths do you possess that you believe will help you achieve academic success in the Ohio State PharmD program? (250 words or less)
Months Prior to Enrollment
18-14 months: Begin preparing for the PCAT by reviewing your course material. Ohio State highly encourages students to take at least one official PCAT Practice Test. Some students may choose to study using course notes, purchased study guides, the PCAT Prep Class, or the Kaplan PCAT Test Prep.
15-10 months: Apply through PharmCAS and submit your official transcripts and PCAT scores directly to PharmCAS. After applying through PharmCAS, eligible applicants will be asked to complete a supplemental application directly with Ohio State.
10-5 months: Ohio State will conduct interviews with competitive candidates and will notify these candidates of admission decisions.