- Parenteral nutrition
- Nutrition Support
- Medication safety
Jay M. Mirtallo, MS, RPh, BCNSP, FASHP is Professor of Clinical Pharmacy and Director of the M.S. in Health-Systems Pharmacy (MSHSP) program at The Ohio State University, College of Pharmacy, Pharmacy Practice and Administration Division.
Prior to his current position, Mr. Mirtallo was Specialty Practice Pharmacist in Nutrition Support and Surgery at The Ohio State University Medical Center. As one of the pharmacy specialist pioneers, he was instrumental in leading cost-effective practices in parenteral nutrition and advancing the role of the pharmacist on nutrition support services. His research focused on comparative evaluations of amino acid injection products, the use of fat as a calorie source, parenteral nutrition compatibility and stability, the effects of starvation on hepatic function in swine and systems issues in the preparation, administration and management of parenteral nutrition.
Mr. Mirtallo has been very active in professional societies and is currently President of the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (A.S.P.E.N.). Although he served on many A.S.P.E.N committees, he was a long-standing member of the Public Policy Committee. Mr. Mirtallo has been actively involved with nutrition support guidelines. Recently, he co-authored an etiology-based definition of malnutrition which is being considered by the National Center for Health-Care Statistics to replace the current malnutrition ICD-9 codes for medicare reimbursement for nutrition services. His current interests are in medication safety and safe systems for parenteral nutrition.
- Rho Chi Pharmaceutical Honor Society, The University of Toledo
- Hospital Pharmacist of the Year, Ohio Society of Hospital Pharmacists
- Member of the Year, Ohio Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
- The Jerry Siegel Clinical Achievement Award Recipient
- The Stanley Serlick Award Recipient, American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition and Hospira, Inc
- Clinical Practice Award, American College of Clinical Pharmacy
- The Clifton J. Latiolais Award
- The Jack L. Beal PostBaccalaureate Award, The Ohio State University, College of Pharmacy, Alumni Society
- MS, The Ohio State University, Hospital Pharmacy
- BS, University of Toledo, Pharmacy
- JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2015 Sep;39(7):768-86
- Nutr Clin Pract. 2012 Jun;27(3):385-91
- JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012 May;36(3):284-91
- JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012 Mar;36(2 Suppl):62S
- JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012 Mar;36(2 Suppl):29S-31S.
- JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr.. 2012 Mar;36(2 Suppl):7S-9S
- JPEN. Journal of parenteral and enteral nutrition. 2011 Jul;35(4):433
- JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2010 May-Jun;34(3):346-7.
- Ann Pharmacother. 2010 Apr;44(4):688-700
- Nutr Clin Pract. 2009 Oct-Nov;24(5):626-34