- Medicinal Chemistry
- Steroid Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Hormones and Cancer
- Aromatase Inhibitors
The major research activities of Dr. Brueggemeier focus in the areas of steroid chemistry and biochemistry, hormones and cancer, medicinal chemistry, and radiochemistry. Research approaches involve the application of expertise in steroid chemistry/biochemistry to the examination of steroid biosynthesis, metabolism, and action at the molecular level. Results from these interdisciplinary investigations will aid in understanding the molecular and biochemical role(s) of estrogens in hormone-dependent cancers and in the development of new approaches to treatment of hormone-dependent cancers.
- 2011 Outstanding Dean Award, Academy of Student Pharmacists, American Pharmacists Association
- 2008 Tyler Prize for Stimulation of Research Award, American Pharmacists Association
- 1999 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 1997 Fellow, American Association of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- PhD, 1977, University of Michigan, Medicinal Chemistry
- MS, 1975, University of Michigan, Medicinal Chemistry
- BA, 1972, Michigan State University, Chemistry
- Miller, DD; Brueggemeier, RW; Dalton, JT. "Chapter 28: Adrenocorticoids" in Foye’s Principles of Medicinal Chemistry, 7th Edition, D.A. Williams and T.L. Lembke, Eds., Williams & Wilkens, Baltimore, pp. 907-943, 2013.
- Miller, DD; Brueggemeier, RW; Dalton, JT. "Chapter 40: Men’s Health" in Foye’s Principles of Medicinal Chemistry, 7th Edition, D.A. Williams and T.L. Lembke, Eds., Williams & Wilkens, Baltimore, pp. 1346-1385, 2013.
- Svensson, CK; Ascione, FJ; Bauman, JL; Brueggemeier, RW; Letendre, DE; Roberts, JC; Speedie, MK. Are we producing innovators and leaders or change resisters and followers? Am. J. Pharm. Educ., 76, 124 (2012).
- Bauman, JL; Ascione, FJ; Brueggemeier, RW; Letendre, DE; Roberts, JC; Speedie, MK; Svensson, CK. On Research, the Change in the Academy and Accreditation. Am. J. Pharm. Educ., 76, 144 (2012).
- Tenchov, B; Sugimoto, Y; Koynova, R; Brueggemeier, RW; Lee, RJ. Highly efficient cationic ethylphosphatidylcholine siRNA carrier for GFP suppression in modified breast cancer cells. Anticancer research. 2012 Jul;32(7):2563-6
- Piao, L; Li, H; Teng, L; Yung, BC; Sugimoto, Y; Brueggemeier, RW; Lee, RJ. Human serum albumin-coated lipid nanoparticles for delivery of siRNA to breast cancer. Nanomedicine : nanotechnology, biology, and medicine. 2012 Apr 26;
- Terp, MC; Bauer, F; Sugimoto, Y; Yu, B; Brueggemeier, RW; Lee, LJ; Lee, RJ. Differential efficacy of DOTAP enantiomers for siRNA delivery in vitro. International journal of pharmaceutics. 2012 Jul 1;430(1-2):328-34
- Brueggemeier, RW; Clark, AM; Das, SK; Forbes, DS; Leff, RD; Oie, S; Sorofman, BA; Thompson, DF; Maine, LL; Sagraves, R. The path forward: the future of graduate education in the pharmaceutical sciences: the report of the 2010-2011 Research and Graduate Affairs Committee. American journal of pharmaceutical education. 2011 Dec 15;75(10):S13
- Zhou, C; Mao, Y; Sugimoto, Y; Zhang, Y; Kanthamneni, N; Yu, B; Brueggemeier, RW; Lee, LJ; Lee, RJ. SPANosomes as delivery vehicles for small interfering RNA (siRNA). Molecular pharmaceutics. 2012 Feb 6;9(2):201-10
- Lustberg, MB; Povoski, SP; Zhao, W; Ziegler, RM; Sugimoto, Y; Ruppert, AS; Lehman, AM; Shiels, DR; Mrozek, E; Ramaswamy, B; Layman, RM; Brueggemeier, RW; Shapiro, CL. Phase II trial of neoadjuvant exemestane in combination with celecoxib in postmenopausal women who have breast cancer. Clinical breast cancer. 2011 Aug;11(4):221-7