The research interests of Dr. Kinghorn are on the isolation, characterization, and biological evaluation of natural products of higher plant origin, and he has worked in particular on compounds with potential antimicrobial, cancer chemotherapeutic, cancer chemopreventive, sweet-tasting, and bitterness-blocking effects. Dr. Kinghorn is the Editor in Chief of the Journal of Natural Products (co-published by the American Chemical Society and the American Society of Pharnacognosy) (1994-present) and Series Editor in Chief of the book series Progress in the Chemistry of Organic Natural Products (published by Springer-Verlag, Vienna, Austria) (2008-present).
- Pan, L; Terrazas, C; Lezama-Davila, CM; Rege, N; Gallucci, JC; Satoskar, AR; Kinghorn, AD. Cordifolide A, a sulfur-containing clerodane diterpene glycoside from Tinospora cordifolia. Organic letters. 2012 Apr 20;14(8):2118-21.
- Chitchumroonchokchai, C; Riedl, KM; Suksumrarn, S; Clinton, SK; Kinghorn, AD; Failla, ML. Xanthones in mangosteen juice are absorbed and partially conjugated by healthy adults. Journal of nutrition. 2012 Apr;142(4):675-80.
- Pan, L; Yong, Y; Deng, Y; Lantvit, DD; Ninh, TN; Chai, H; Carcache, de, Blanco, EJ; Soejarto, DD; Swanson, SM; Kinghorn, AD. Isolation, structure elucidation, and biological evaluation of 16,23-epoxycucurbitacin constituents from Eleaocarpus chinensis. Journal of natural products. 2012 Mar 23;75(3):444-52.
- Pan, L; Matthew, S; Lantvit, DD; Zhang, X; Ninh, TN; Chai, H; Carcache, de, Blanco, EJ; Soejarto, DD; Swanson, SM; Kinghorn, AD. Bioassay-guided isolation of constituents of Piper sarmentosum using a mitochondrial transmembrane potential assay. Journal of natural products. 2011 Oct 28;74(10):2193-9
- Kinghorn, AD; Pan, L; Fletcher, JN; Chai, H. The relevance of higher plants in lead compound discovery programs. Journal of natural products. 2011 Jun 24;74(6):1539-55
- Saradhi, UV; Gupta, SV; Chiu, M; Wang, J; Ling, Y; Liu, Z; Newman, DJ; Covey, JM; Kinghorn, AD; Marcucci, G; Lucas, DM; Grever, MR; Phelps, MA; Chan, KK. Characterization of silvestrol pharmacokinetics in mice using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. The AAPS journal. 2011 Sep;13(3):347-56
- Pan, L; Kardono, LB; Riswan, S; Chai, H; Carcache, de, Blanco, EJ; Pannell, CM; Soejarto, DD; McCloud, TG; Newman, DJ; Kinghorn, AD. Isolation and characterization of minor analogues of silvestrol and other constituents from a large-scale re-collection of Aglaia foveolata. Journal of natural products. 2010 Nov 29;73(11):1873-8
- Stoner, GD; Wang, LS; Seguin, C; Rocha, C; Stoner, K; Chiu, S; Kinghorn, AD. Multiple berry types prevent N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine-induced esophageal cancer in rats. Pharmaceutical research. 2010 Jun;27(6):1138-45
- Kinghorn, AD; Carcache, de, Blanco, EJ; Chai, HB; Orjala, J; Farnsworth, NR; Soejarto, DD; Oberlies, NH; Wani, MC; Kroll, DJ; Pearce, CJ; Swanson, SM; Kramer, RA; Rose, WC; Fairchild, CR; Vite, GD; Emanuel, S; Jarjoura, D; Cope, FO. Discovery of anticancer agents of diverse natural origin. Pure and applied chemistry. Chimie pure et appliquee. 2009 Jan 1;81(6):1051-63
- Lucas, DM; Edwards, RB; Lozanski, G; West, DA; Shin, JD; Vargo, MA; Davis, ME; Rozewski, DM; Johnson, AJ; Su, BN; Goettl, VM; Heerema, NA; Lin, TS; Lehman, A; Zhang, X; Jarjoura, D; Newman, DJ; Byrd, JC; Kinghorn, AD; Grever, MR. The novel plant-derived agent silvestrol has B-cell selective activity in chronic lymphocytic leukemia and acute lymphoblastic leukemia in vitro and in vivo. Blood. 2009 May 7;113(19):4656-66
- 2011 Honorary Doctor of Science degree, University of Bradford
- 2011 Norman R. Farnsworth Excellence in Botanical Research Award, American Botanical Council
- 2010 Award of Merit, National Institutes of Health/National Cancer Institute (for work on PDQ CAM Editorial Board)
- 2010 Norman R. Farnsworth Research Achievement Award, American Society of Pharmacognosy
- 2010 Percy Julian Memorial Lecture Award, Howard University, Washington, DC
- 2008 Honorary Member, American Society of Pharmacognosy
- 2007 Fellow, American Society of Pharmacognosy
- 2007 Grisvold Lecture Award, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Minnesota
- 2006 Fellow, The School of Pharmacy, University of London (now University College London)
- 2006 AAAS Fellow
- Postdoctoral, 1977, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Postdoctoral, 1976, University of Mississippi
- D.Sc., 1990, University of London, London, U.K.
- Ph.D., 1975, University of London, London, U.K.
- M.Sc., 1970, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K.
- B.Pharm., 1969, University of Bradford, Bradford, U.K.