You are here
Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE)
Students in their final year of Doctor of Pharmacy program complete a series of Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPE). Students are assigned to a minimum of nine (9) calendar months of APPE between June 1st and April 30th.
APPE required experiences include:
- Seven months of required rotations with a patient-care focus:
- Two months of community pharmacy
- One month of ambulatory care pharmacy
- One month of hospital/health system pharmacy
- One month of inpatient/acute care pharmacy
- Two additional one-month, patient-care, experiences in an approved patient care setting, with most of the rotations located in community, ambulatory, or institutional sites
- Two months of elective rotations with either a patient-care focus or non-patient care focus (e.g., research, management, teaching, etc.)
In addition, to receive Pharmacy 7008 (APPE Professional Activities) credit, students are also required to complete activities such as creation of a Professional Portfolio, completion of work toward potentially earning a certificate from APhA for their Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services program, completion of 10 hours of community health service, and 10 hours of professional development.
During APPE students are exposed to a diverse patient population and gain exposure to evaluating and adjusting dosing regimens for hospital and ambulatory patients using pharmacokinetic principles.
If you have any questions about the APPE program at The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy, please contact Julie Legg, PharmD, Assistant Director of APPE, at firstname.lastname@example.org .