Medicinal Chemistry & Pharmacognosy:
Journal of Natural Products Head Office
The Division of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy at The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy is the home of the Journal of Natural Products head office.
Editor-in-Chief: A. Douglas Kinghorn
Division of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy
College of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University
500 W. 12th Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43210
Phone: (614) 247-8101, Fax: (614) 247-8117
View the Web Edition of the Journal - co-published by the American Chemical Society and the American Society of Pharmacognosy
American Chemical Society: Anne C. O'Melia, Leslie A. Walker
American Society of Pharmacognosy, Guido F. Pauli, Jerry L. McLaughlin
Editors of the Journal
Theodor Just (University of Notre Dame), 1938-1959 (volumes 1-22)
Arthur E. Schwarting (University of Connecticut), 1960-1976 (volumes 23-39)
Jack L. Beal (The Ohio State University), 1977-1983 (volumes 40-46)
James E. Robbers (Purdue University), 1984-1993 (volumes 47-56)
A. Douglas Kinghorn (University of Illinois at Chicago; The Ohio State University), 1994-present (volumes 57-)
A. Douglas Kinghorn, The Ohio State University, Editor-in-Chief
Daneel Ferreira, The University of Mississippi, Associate Editor
Cedric J. Pearce, Mycosynthetix, Inc., Hillsborough, North Carolina, Associate Editor
Richard G. Powell, USDA, ARS, Peoria, Illinois, Associate Editor
Philip J. Proteau, Oregon State University, Associate Editor
John H. Cardellina II, Walkersville, Maryland, Book Review Editor
Lisa Dush and Lynette Bueno Pérez, The Ohio State University, Journal Office Administrators
History of Journal
The Journal of Natural Products has been the scientific journal of the American Society of Pharmacognosy (http://www.pharmacognosy.us/) since 1961, but was first published as Lloydia in 1938 by the Lloyd Library and Museum, 917 Plum Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202. This institution (http://www.lloydlibrary.org/) was founded by John Uri Lloyd, and its development was also fostered by his brothers Curtis Gates Lloyd and Nelson Ashley Lloyd. The library is a repository of an internationally famous collection of literature in the natural sciences with preeminence in the pharmaceutical sciences, eclectic medicine, botany, and chemistry, and is available to scientists and others for reference and research. The Journal of Natural Products became known under its present title in 1979, during the editorial tenure of Professor Jack L. Beal of the College of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University. Originally a quarterly publication, it became a bimonthly journal in 1975, and has appeared monthly since 1992. The American Society of Pharmacognosy began to co-publish the Journal of Natural Products with the American Chemical Society in 1996. In 2012, Lloydia and the Journal of Natural Products reached the 75th volume, and a celebratory symposium was held at the International Congress of Natural Products Research, New York, July 28-Augusst 1, 2012.
Technical Scope of the Journal
The Journal of Natural Products invites and publishes papers that make substantial and scholarly contributions to the area of natural products research. Contributions may relate to the chemistry and/or biochemistry of naturally occurring compounds or the biology of living systems from which they are obtained. Specifically, they may be articles that describe secondary metabolites of microorganisms, including antibiotics and mycotoxins; physiologically active compounds from higher plants and animals; biochemical studies, including biosynthesis and microbiological transformations; fermentation and plant tissue culture; the isolation, structure elucidation, and chemical synthesis of novel compounds from nature; and the pharmacology of compounds of natural origin.
The impact factor for the Journal of Natural Products has increased from 1.432 in 1997 to 3.128 in 2011. In turn, the total number of cites has increased from 3,364 in 1997 to its highest ever level of 18,661 in 2011.